Are you thinking about selling some of your possessions? You may have considered putting some items outside your home to sell, otherwise known as a garage or yard sale. Garage sales are a great way to pass along items you no longer need or want and give them a new home, but what about estate sales? These two types of sales are often used interchangeably, but they are actually quite different.
At Grasons Co. Estate Services, we specialize in organizing and managing elite estate sales in Southern California and across the United States. We’re here to help you understand the difference between estate sales and garage sales, so you know when to contact us for our services.
Who Should Host A Garage Sale?
Garage sales are perfect for those who are looking to declutter and sell a small number of items. They’re great for selling items that you no longer need or want, such as clothing, furniture, and household items. Garage sales are typically casual and held on weekends. It’s not uncommon for people to drive around a neighborhood looking for them.
Who Should Host An Estate Sale?
Estate sales turn the inside of the home into a kind of thrift store and are perfect for those who have a large number of items to sell. Typically, sellers are downsizing, moving, or dealing with one of the three D’s — death, divorce, or debt. Estate sales are professionally run by companies — also known as liquidators — and are typically held over a period of several days. From high-end items such as antiques, collectibles, and art pieces to kitchen appliances and even light fixtures —most items in the home are for sale.
The Benefits of Estate Sales
While the idea of selling used items from home is similar between the two, there are a few main differences that elevate estate sales above garage sales for both buyers and sellers.
- Size: Garage sales are limited to the items that fit in a garage, driveway, or yard, while estate sales are much larger and typically include a wider range of items. The items all over the home are for sale, sometimes even including items in the yard, window finishings, light fixtures, and kitchen appliances.
- Organization Estate sales are professionally run and managed by companies like Grasons Co. These companies will sort and categorize items, set up displays, and even price items based on their value. Garage sales, on the other hand, are typically put on by the homeowner, and since items are placed outside the home, they can be more disorganized.
- Advertising: A huge benefit of estate companies is that they advertise their sales on their website and other estate sale finder sites. Grasons lists all sales on our current sales page so everyone from the area can find your sale instead of relying on someone driving past your garage.
- Quality of Items: Estate sales are known for offering high-quality, often antique or vintage items. This is because the items being sold are typically from a single household and have been well-cared for. Garage sales, on the other hand, may have a mix of high-quality and low-quality items, with no guarantee of what you will find.
- Security: Homes and warehouses are a much more controlled environment than a yard or driveway, which makes the security of the items easier to manage, especially if the sale lasts multiple days.
Other Types Of Property Sales
Liquidation sales are another type of property sales that Grasons organizes. A business liquidation sale is a type of estate sale that is specifically designed for businesses that are closing, moving, or liquidating their assets. These types of sales are often held to sell off all of the remaining inventory, equipment, and assets of a business in order to pay off creditors, settle debts, or generate cash for the business owners. All businesses, from grocery stores to hotels to offices, could have a liquidation sale. At Grasons Co. Estate Sales, we have the expertise and experience to help businesses with their liquidation sales.
Our Estate Services
At Grasons Co. Estate Services, we provide a wide range of professional services to help those who are going through life changes.
- Estate Sales: Our specialty! Let us take care of managing the sale of property during your most difficult times.
- Business Liquidation: Trust Grasons to get your business the most from your liquidation.
- Home Staging: Whether you’re selling your home, a contractor showcasing a new build, or a realtor looking to increase your client’s property value, we have comprehensive and customizable home staging services available to you!
- Moving Sales: Choose what you want to move and liquidate the rest! Elevate your moving experience and downsize your property with the highest value possible with our professional moving sale services.
- Downsizing: Feeling cramped? Downsizing sales can free up space in your home while getting you the most profit for your possessions.
- Relocating: Let us make the transition to your new home smooth with our relocation services.
Whichever service you are in need of, our experienced team of liquidators can help you with every aspect of your sale, from staging and organizing items to pricing, advertising, and managing the sale itself.
When you’re ready to part with your property and make a profit, there are a few types of sales to choose from. Regardless of which option you choose, Grasons Co. Estate Services can help you make the process as smooth as possible. Contact us today to learn more or see the Grasons’ difference for yourself at a sale near you.